Monday, December 10, 2007

Discussion Questions – week 2

Discussion Questions – week 2

1) How do other emotions influence our thinking?

The Cambridge online dictionary defines emotion as, “a strong feeling such as love or anger, or strong feelings in general” (Cambridge, 2007). An individual emotions or lack of emotions will have and effect on their thinking process. An old stereotype cliché states “Hell has no fury like a woman scorn”. This statement has been used to prove how emotions can overcome a person to commit evil deeds. The statement can also be used to show how anger may have the power to render an individual totally emotionless and have not a care in the world for their actions.

The University of Phoenix PHL 251 week two reading states, “Our upbringing shapes our fears, which keep us from facing thoughts. It shapes our self-concept, which moves us to defend our thoughts, it shapes our emotions, which can distort our thinking to an exceptional degree” (UOP, 2007). This statement from UOP does provide support that certain emotions can be learned behavior. For example a child taught to hate other individuals because of there skin color may have feelings of anxiety or hatred towards a person on another skin color sitting beside them solely based on a learned trait.

I was taught as a child; a person can control how they feel however, we all can control how we react to our feelings or emotions. This is what separates humans from animals.,

Reference:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=25386&dict=CALD
University of Phoenix PHL 251 week two reading


2) How have emotional influences affected recent decisions at work?

Recently I acquired an outsourced employee located in India from another team in my organization. The individual had become accustom to not working a full day work or paying attention to details. I had to retrain this employee to become detailed oriented and understand the benefits of teem work.

Four weeks ago provided step by step details to this employee on how we were to proceed with a weekend out of normal busies hours. This is an activity I needed to train the new employee to handle on their own.

The new employee attempted to pass off their responsibilities in direct violation of my instructions. My emotions almost overwhelmed me we my directives were not followed I wasted the individual immediately terminated. However after thinking the whole situation through I understood this person really did not understand the new position they were in and they did not volunteer to join my team; accept the new p[position or be fired.

After detail thought with out emotion I had the individual transferred to another team where they are now excelling and I have a new hire better fit to fill my position.

Had I acted purely off of emotions the organization could have lost a potential valuable trained employee. We all thing first then act!

No comments: